Thank you for your patience while we retrieve your images.
Taken 24-Dec-12
Visitors 5


1 of 6 photos
Thumbnails
Info
Categories & Keywords

Category:
Subcategory:
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:Marker,, Markers,, Sign,, Plaque
Photo Info

Dimensions800 x 723
Original file size62 KB
Image typeJPEG
Color spaceUncalibrated

Belmont County Historical Markers #1-7 Mile Marker Side A The earliest highway signs along the National Road (Route 40) in Ohio were milestones located at one-mile intervals along the north side of the roadway. Each stone indicated the distance to Cumberland, Maryland, the eastern terminus of the National Road, and to the nearest cities and villages for both east and westbound travelers. #2-7 Mile Marker Side A The earliest highway signs along the National Road (Route 40) in Ohio were milestones located at one-mile intervals along the north side of the roadway. Each stone indicated the distance to Cumberland, Maryland, the eastern terminus of the National Road, and to the nearest cities and villages for both east and westbound travelers. #3-7 Walnut Grove Cemetery Side A The Walnut Grove Cemetery is the burial place of members of the Zane and Martin families. Their graves lie within the brick enclosure. The cemetery is also the resting-place of many early Martins Ferry residents, including veterans of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, and the Civil War. The Zane and Martin families were significant in the pioneer history of the region. Betty Zane's legendary heroism at Fort Henry (now Wheeling, West Virginia) helped settlers resist an attack by the British and their Native American allies in September 1782. (Continued on other side) Side B Absalom Martin, one of the first Americans to buy land in the Northwest Territory and regarded as one of the first to legally settle here, received the first license to operate a ferry on the Ohio River in 1789. Ebenezer and Jonathan Zane, Betty's brothers, laid out Zane's Trace in 1796 across what would become southeast Ohio. Ebenezer and Minerva Zane Martin sold the cemetery's land to the town of Martins Ferry in 1866 for $100. #4-7 Historic Bridgeport Side A Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the founders of Wheeling, laid out the village that became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood (1789). Originally named Canton, it acquired its present name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built. The arrival of the National Road in 1818 made the growing town a major portal into the state of Ohio for westbound emigrants, adding to its importance as a port for Ohio River traffic. With the advent of railroads and, later, transcontinental highways, Bridgeport continues to serve as Ohio's "Gateway to the West." #5-7 Harley E. Warrick (1924-2000) Side A The last barn painter for the Bloch Brothers Tobacco Company of Wheeling, West Virginia, Harley Warrick painted thousands of barns with the familiar Mail Pouch Tobacco logo over his 48-year career. Mail Pouch transcended advertising to become a fixture of nostalgic Americana, emblazoning barns across fifteen states with the "Midwestern imperative": Chew Mail Pouch Tobacco-Treat Yourself to the Best. Once a common form of advertising through the early 20th century, barn painting became the sole province of Mail Pouch in this region by mid-century. The Highway Beautification Act of 1965 restricted roadside advertising, and in 1969 Bloch Brothers curtailed its program, retaining Warrick to refinish barns for their historical value until his retirement in 1993. #6-7 The Coal Industry at Powhatan Point Side A The Pittsburgh No. 8 coal seam, located 100 feet below river level at Powhatan Point, extends across much of eastern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and northern West Virginia. The Cleveland and Western Coal Company, founded by Cleveland industrialist Frank E. Taplin, opened the Powhatan No. 1 mine here in 1922 to take advantage of both river and rail transportation. It became the largest deep mine in Ohio and was the first mine in the state to be completely mechanized. Reorganized as the North American Coal Corporation in 1925, the company operated seven shaft mines in this area during the twentieth century. Four of these mines closed between 1980 and 1984 as clean air standards made locally mined high-sulfur coal difficult to market. Text : Side B World War II held hazards for both soldiers and miners as coal mines maximized output for the war effort. On July 5, 1944, a section of roof fell in No. 3 entry at C North face of Powhatan No. 1, a mine with a dangerous reputation. A trolley wire shorted and ignited the coal seam, trapping sixty-six miners deep in the mine. Rescue and firefighting efforts failed, and officials sealed the mine to extinguish the blaze-also sealing the fate of the miners. This tragedy, which compounded two 1940 disasters at the Hanna Coal Company's Willow Grove mine (72 dead) and Y&O Coal's Nelms mine (31 dead), deeply affected the close-knit community. The Powhatan fire was this area's last mining disaster of the twentieth century. #7-7 Governor Wilson Shannon 1802-1877 Side A Ohio, first native-born governor, Wilson Shannon was born in February 1802 in the Mt. Olivet area near Barnesville. After attending Ohio University and studying law in Kentucky, he returned to Belmont County to practice and was elected county attorney in 1833. Shannon served two terms as governor of Ohio, from 1838 to 1840 and again from 1842 to 1844, resigning to accept a presidential appointment as minister to Mexico. After participating in the California Gold Rush, Shannon returned to Ohio and was elected to Congress in 1852. President Pierce then appointed him territorial governor of Kansas, an office he held until 1857. After a notable career of public service, Shannon died in Lawrence, Kansas, in 1877. Side B Four of Governor Wilson Shannon's brothers and a nephew distinguished themselves as public servants during the nineteenth century. George Shannon III (c. 1785 -1836) scouted for the Lewis and Clark Expedition and served as a Kentucky judge and senator. Thomas Shannon (c. 1787 -1843) served in the War of 1812 and later in the U.S. Congress and the Ohio Senate. James Shannon (c. 1791-1832) was appointed U.S. Charge d'Affaires to the short-lived Federation of Central America in 1832. David Shannon (c. 1793 -1823) served as Gen. Andrew Jackson's private secretary and as acting territorial governor of Florida. Isaac Charles Parker (1838-1896) was appointed federal judge of the West District of Arkansas in 1875, a notoriously lawless area now part of Oklahoma. His commitment to law and order earned him legendary status as the "Hanging Judge of Fort Smith." #8-7 Captina African Methodist Episcopal Cemetery Side A This cemetery stands as evidence of a once thriving African American farming community established in the 1820s. With the aid of community leader, Alexander "Sandy" Harper (c.1804-1889), Captina, originally called Guinea, became a stop on the Underground Railroad, a national network, shrouded in secrecy, of volunteers who directed slaves northward. Harper is buried in this cemetery, along with Benjamin Oliver McMichael (1865-1941), an educator who taught for twelve years in Captina/ Flatrock at a segregated schoolhouse. There are 113 known burials in the cemetery, including nine Civil War veterans. At this site in 1825, an African Methodist Episcopal Church was established to serve the community. Many of its members left Captina to work in cities, but the church continued services until 1962. The building then fell into disrepair and collapsed during a windstorm in 1978. #9-7 Imperial Glass - Gem of "The Glass City" Side A With ready access to raw materials, fuel, skilled labor, and transportation, the Ohio Valley became the center of the American glass industry during the late 1800s. Among dozens of local manufacturers, the Imperial Glass Company, founded in 1901 by river man and financier Edward Muhleman, first made glass in 1904 and distinguished itself for mass production of attractive and affordable pressed glass tableware using continuous-feed melting tanks. One of the largest American handmade glass manufacturers during the 20th century, Imperial also produced blown glass, several lines of art glass, and its trademark "Candlewick" pattern. Bellaire's glassmaking era ended when the "Big I" closed its doors in 1984, and the building was razed in 1995. Its diverse products remain highly prized by glass collectors. #10-7 Watt Car and Wheel Company Side A Joseph Watt and son James H. started a small foundry in 1862 making plow points, window sash weights, and heating stoves. Later, brothers Stewart, Ross, and John W. joined and the name became J.H. Watt and Brothers. Securing a patent for a self-oiling mine car wheel, the business expanded to this 27-acre site. In 1891, Ohio gubernatorial candidate, and later U.S. president, William McKinley, dedicated the buildings. By 1901, over 135 were employed by Watt Mining Car Wheel Company producing mine and rail cars for U.S. and foreign markets. The Watt Car and Wheel Company was sold in 1966 to German interests and closed in 1996, ending an era of employment for generations of local people. #10-7 Morristown Side A Platted in 1802 by John Zane and William Chapline along the old Wheeling Road, Morristown was named for Duncan Morrison, an early settler, innkeeper, and Justice of the Peace. Older than the state itself, Morristown prospered into the mid-1800s, nurtured by trade along the National Road, the first federally funded highway project in the United States. The National Road was a major overland route to the West in the second quarter of the nineteenth century. Federal style brick and frame structures that remain standing today replaced the original log cabins that first made up the town. Named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, Morristown is a well-preserved example of a National Road town. #11-7 Blaine Hill "S" Bridge Side A The first Blaine Hill Bridge was constructed in 1828 as